Thursday, January 15, 2009

Well here it is everyone. My highly anticipated, and long awaited return to the Internet community since i last created this little nugget in eighth grade. For this particular post however I will not be talking about the NFL draft or where I project so and so to go(that will be coming later on). Rather I am going to be writing about what I feel to be the most underrated show on TV as well as my most underrated movie. Expect more of the same from me. I will be bringing updates on anything to do with my hometown sports(Pittsburgh, PA), as well as world news, TV shows, movies and juicy Hollywood gossip.

I am just going to get right into it because I have so many good things to say about Friday Night Lights. FNL is created by Alec Bergs brother Peter Berg and is a story of a high school football team set in a small, tight knit, Texas community. The casting in the show was phenomenal because the actors who are portraying these high school athletes really do resemble high school kids. Most notably my favorite hunk Tim Riggins. The transformation that this kid has made from Season 1 to Season 3 really brings a tear to my eye. He was a loud mouth, drunk, unfocused punk who did whatever he wanted in the first 2 seasons and really his act was getting old. But the writers finally brought his story around in this third season. While he still carries some of the characteristics from the first 2 seasons that made him lovable, he finally in the third season seems to "get it". Not to post any spoilers for those who have not seen it but Riggins really gets his act together and does some growing up in the third season.
Besides the great characters and the maturing that we see in them, the show is also great for the fact that it feels real. Some shows I've watched like Gossip Girl or One Tree Hill or The OC or basically any show that "College Panda" likes, just don't have that "realness" factor that FNL brings. The drama in this show does actually happen and the story lines are believeable. This show also appeals to all ages, race, and sex which has helped it stay on the air for 3 seasons. But sadly because of crappy time slots and dumb deals with DirecTV and lack of new characters it appears this show has run its course after 3 seasons. I along with millions around the world hope that's not true but if it is let me say this one more time, "Clear eyes, Full hearts, Can't Lose!"

For my most underrated movie pick I am going to go with the great Apocalypto. I'm sure some of you are nodding your head and agreeing with me, and I'm also sure some of you are asking yourselves what the hell an Apocalypto is and I'm also sure some of you are nodding your head that you know what it is but never actually saw it because my boy Mel Gibson made it. Don't feel bad if you never did see this at the theaters because you weren't alone, it only grossed $50 mil at the box office. Which might seem like a decent chunk of change but after seeing this with all the effects and costume costs that went into it this had to be in the red for Mel.
I will steal the summary from IMDB.com because it captures so perfectly what I could never have written. " Set in the Mayan civilization, when a man's idyllic presence is brutally disrupted by a violent invading force, he is taken on a perilous journey to a world ruled by fear and oppression where a harrowing end awaits him. Through a twist of fate and spurred by the power of his love for his woman and his family he will make a desperate break to return home and to ultimately save his way of life." Written by Maya Society.
Once again I will go back to the realness factor I talked about with FNL. The first time I watched this movie I thought it was a documentary on Mayan civilization. Then when I realized the main character Jaguar Paw(Rudy Youngblood) was an actor I was floored. Everything in this movie is perfect and I easily put it in my top 5 movies of all time.

So theres the first post. Go Steelers!

Haymes

No comments:

Post a Comment