Monday, March 16, 2009

The Best Show You aren't Watching


Friday Night Lights is another one of those shows that bothers me. It bothers me because nobody is watching it and is at risk to get cancelled, or is it? (More on that later) Other great shows have fallen victim to the same fate for a variety of reasons. Some get cancelled simply because nobody is watching, or because they have a terrible time slot, or the show is on a terrible network. Two shows that spring to mind immediately are Veronica Mars and Arrested Development (both in the early stages of development for film adaptations). Arrested Development is, in my opinion, the funniest show that has ever been on network TV. How this show had a lack of viewers is beyond me when you have people watching shows like I love New York and a Double Shot at Love, but that is a rant for another time. Veronica Mars got the same cold shoulder from the masses and saw its run get cut short. Well I am here to tell you that Friday Night Lights, like the other shows, does not deserve to get cancelled while leaving loyal fans needing more.

FNL is in its third season and for this third season it was only given 13 episodes. This is because of a couple reasons. First, there was never supposed to be a third season. The show was cancelled after the second season, but because of an outcry from fans and the obvious potential NBC executives saw, the show gained one last breath of life. The other reason for the small number of episodes in the third season is because NBC created a joint deal with DirecTV where DirecTV would air the 13 episodes on there systems and then NBC would air the same 13 episodes later in the year. To be honest I am not sure of the idea behind that, but who cares because we got another season out of it. Well I am here to tell you that FNL might just be that show that will live to fight another day.

Reports have surfaced that DirecTV and NBC might be at the bargaining table and both organizations would love to bring the show back on the air. However, like most good things there is a small catch, and I know most of the time the catch is a bad one and people are upset, but I am here to tell you that this is not your run of the mill, garden variety catch, no my friends this is a catch of epic proportion, a catch of the day if you will (no?). NBC and DirecTV might only close this agreement if they can get....wait for it...a two season deal!!! Wow is right. This news all courtesy of EW.com.

Now for those of you who are fans of the show, I know it is a sign of life to all of those who thought season three might be it, and to those of you who are not watching the show well....Why the hell are you not watching this show? Honestly if I had to tell you one show that I like more than it I think I could only name one and that is Lost. So if you are not watching this show please start to watch it, really go get the seasons on DVD and watch it, trust me you will be hooked. It is not the lame high school drama that a lot of you are used to Panda talking about. It has real people in real situations that you can relate to and enjoy and there is not your typical corny, lame dialogue that you get with teen drams either. The show is not a critical success for nothing, so I beg of you please watch this show so we can see it for many years to come.


Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose,
(If you watch the show you will learn to love this line) 
Laef

No comments:

Post a Comment