Sunday, March 29, 2009

This doesn't usually happen to me...



I'm from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania A.K.A City of Champions, A.K.A Sixburgh, A.K.A Most Livable City in America. With that said, it is pretty unusual when my favorite hometown sports team doesn't compete in or win a championship. I realize that the last A.K.A I threw out there doesn't apply but I feel Pittsburgh has never got enough deserved attention for being something other than the best sports city in America.

Back to what I was trying to get at. After getting over the hump and beating Xavier in the Sweet 15(Sorry Arizona, you sucked big time),my favorite college basketball team the #1 seed Pittsburgh Panthers lost in the Elite 8 to #3 seed Villanova Wildcats tonight. Other than the big controversy of which feline mascot, Panther or Wildcat, was the more dangerous animal this game had a lot of story lines. Villanova upset Pitt earlier this year, both teams were from the Big East, and well actually that was about it, but thanks to great commentating we only heard about both of those 87 times through the telecast. Being a #1 seed I, and millions of others, fully expected Pitt to win their region and move on to the Final 4 and compete for a championship. Not only because they were a top seed and have had a tremendous year but because they are associated with Pittsburgh and championships are expected. But Villanova had other plans.

I really just want to start ripping into Pitt and every miscue they made in their final game of the season, but I can't. The seniors of this team led Pitt to uncharted territory. Levance Fields, Sam Young, and yes, even you Tyrell Biggs, all made contributions that continued to the bright future of Pitt basketball. Sam Young could have gone to the NBA last year and been a late first-early second round pick and presumably made a nice amount of money. But he stayed. For himself, for the team, and for the program. I hope DeJuan Blair makes the same decision. I can't be mad at you Pitt, you gave the best you had. To the seniors let me leave with you with this, "May your hats fly as high as your dreams."

Sorry, I had to touch on that. I warned readers in my first post that I would occasionally write about hometown sports and now three months later I have, blow me.

Thanks to my signature 'Haymes stamp of approval' I'm expecting a higher box office total this weekend for my favorite 2009 movie I Love You, Man. Honestly, I don't know if there is a hotter or more perfect girlfriend/engagee/wife than Rashida Jones plays in this movie. Not like I already have done this or anything, but if I was going to put together a list of characteristics and physical features that I look for in a potential mate, Jones' character would be scoring off the charts. Between the perfect bangs, hip personality, able-to- fit-in-with-friends and ability to look good in yellow she is the total package. Other than Jason Segel not getting naked and showing his package (sorry I'm not going to link to that, go see Forgetting Sarah Marshall sicko), she was the most pleasant surprise in this movie.

Don't forget to go check out Adventureland, it comes out this Friday April 3. It was filmed in Pittsburgh, PA at Kennywood Park so I will definitely be in attendance opening night. That's it for now. Well at least with basketball season over I'll have more time to train for this. Wish me luck.


Poker Face - Lady Gaga

No comments:

Post a Comment